Tuesday, January 29, 2013

All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum

It's been almost two decades since All I Really Need to Know came out. For that upcoming generation who might have missed it (or those of you older folks who somehow managed to pass it by), All I Really Need to Know is a humorous look at life with all of its foibles and follies.

Sometimes editors and agents will talk about an author's 'voice' or style. I believe that Robert Fulghum's greatest gift is that voice. He draws you into his book with a storyteller's invitation and warms you in the laughter of his words.   His humor, sometimes self-deprecating, has a truth that seems to ring in a person's soul with clarity and conviction and of course, chuckling. 

I've picked up more than a few so-called funny books with authors who are ready to show the world their version of truth.  A few I found dark or crass and well, not terribly funny. Some just seemed to blather on without anything to say.  But Fulghum is funny and his humor is intelligent. When he ventures into dark places, he brings a nightlight and a teddy bear (or at least a singing bird), and he makes a person feel better for having read his work.

And that's really something.  So for those of you who missed it, I strongly recommend with my biggest blogger stamp of approval, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.


No comments:

Post a Comment