Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Bedwyn Saga by Mary Balogh

I love historical romance, specifically the regency period. This is a series of books all related to the Bedwyn family. Slightly Married, Slightly Wicked, Slightly Scandalous, Slightly Tempted, Slightly Sinful and Slightly Dangerous.

What I love about Mary Balogh is that when she writes a romance, the characters come alive. I was doing a reading blitz of my library's historical romances last spring and many of the stories faded within a day or so of reading them. The Slightly series was the best that I had read in an incredibly long string of regency romances. 

The series spans the romances of all of the Bedwyn family brothers and sisters. The plots of each are unique, although true to romance, there are always the angsty separations, etc.  My favorite character is Wulf Bedwyn, a man who came early into his inheritance and must act as patriarch to the family, approving his sibling's partners. Throughout the series he comes across as cold and gruff with glimmers of emotion at poignant moments. I read through the books and realized that I REALLY wanted to hear his story.

Although it was the book I most looked forward to reading, my actual favorites were with Alleyne, Slighty Sinful and Aidan, Slightly Married, Wulf's two brothers.

I heartily recommend reading these books in order. While most romances are truly stand alone, the characters intertwine.  I read the first book out of order, but I'm really glad that I read Wulf's story last because after so long watching a fellow who seems set apart and even lonely in his ivory tower, it was great getting to that moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment