Monday, January 14, 2013

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

I am very finicky about urban fantasy.  I've started a few only to find the characters a bit too snotty for my taste and the sequences didn't always make sense. I've put down at least two authors in the genre without finishing their books.  I don't mind a tough, kick-butt heroine, but I'd like her to have some feeling or emotion other than anger and cocky self-assurance.

In this genre, there are a few authors that stand out like beacons on a hillside.  Patricia Briggs outshines them all.  Moon Called  is the first in a series about Mercy Thompson, a skinwalker (of the good sort) who turns into a coyote.  Her neighbors are a pack of werewolves, and she rather enjoys tormenting their pack leader, even if it is hazardous to her health.

What I love about Moon Called (and the subsequent books in the series) is that first and foremost, I love Mercy Thompson.  She has some fun quirks.  Instead of wearing a cross into a meeting with vampires, she wears a little lamb. Why?  Because the cross is a symbol of death while the lamb is a symbol of life. A small thing, but it adds depth.

She is a kick-butt heroine, but she also gets scared and cares about people, which gets her into lots of trouble with vampires, fae, and other troublesome monsters. Usually when Mercy is in danger, she put herself there to protect someone else.   Now that's someone I can root for.

I would caution that while Mooncalled is PG, this series is PG-13.  The book Iron Kissed, third in the series, deals with incredibly heavy issues that have been handled very adeptly but are not suitable for the younger ones. It is part of what gives this series such power.

Better start this series on a weekend or you'll be losing sleep!

(These links will take you off site for purchase)


No comments:

Post a Comment