Monday, January 28, 2013

How Much for Just the Planet? By John M. Ford

It’s almost embarrassing to admit, but somewhere in my dark history I was once a trekkie, and I have the books to prove it! There were some decent writers in the Trek universe back in the day (maybe still are, but I’ve moved on since).

I enjoyed The Great Starship Race by Diane Carey and may even write about that one in a few years when I’m ready to mention my 2nd favorite Star Trek book. But for now, let’s talk about the best. How Much for Just the Planet? What I love about this book is the humor. It’s just funny. It has a vaudeville tongue-in-cheek type of appeal that had me actually laughing. And let me tell you, there are only a few books that I’ve had that kind of reaction to, and I read a few books a week.

As usual, the Federation needs dilithium crystals. And an abundance is found on a tiny out-of-the-way planet which, surprise, the Klingons have found as well. Now the fun begins. Because the two groups are ready to compete for the lucre. What they don’t realize is that the people of Direidi are full of pranks and will lead them all on a merry chase.

It’s true that only a Trek fan will really understand the nuances, but if you’ve ever loved Star Trek and missed this book, it’s well-worth the read. (Even if the show looks totally cheesy in retrospect…and I’m sorry to say it does.)

No comments:

Post a Comment