Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sarah and the Lost Friendship by Margaret Epp

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when I wanted to share this book with my niece, instead of just shipping it to her, I bought a copy. (It's out of print, but I found a used one in good condition.) I couldn't bear to part with it because I enjoyed it so much as a child.

This book has a lot in common with The Little House on the Prairie Series and Anne of Green Gables. (At some point, I have no doubt I'll be discussing them, but this is a book that didn't have the popularity and might have gone unnoticed.)

The story is about a ten year old girl in 1926 when people still had milk delivered and rode horse and buggies. The theme centers around a fight Sarah has with her best friend.  Sarah's sister marries her best friend's brother and now Sarah feels jealous.

I've always loved stories where the heroine has an injury or falls ill and that happens in this book. She feels sick to start but it gets worse as she is milking the cow. I think that's probably the reason I like Sarah and the Lost Friendship so much. Please note, the book does reference Christian beliefs and values, but the storyline is intact. If you have a young reader who enjoys the horse and buggy days, Sarah and the Lost Friendship is a great choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment