Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Drowned Maiden's Hair

I had a few arguments with myself as to whether to post this book or not.  Frankly, I was disappointed because somehow I thought I was going to be reading a paranormal story.  But in the end, I do think it is a well-told story for the young adult market.

As with many YA novels, the story opens with a girl living in an orphanage whose life is harsh because she speaks her mind and is not considered pretty. She has been punished by being locked in the outhouse with the spiders and smells.  She bravely sings the Battle Hymn of the Republic to prove she's not afraid.

While she is singing, one of a trio of sisters looking for a girl to adopt hears her and decides that she is the one. From here we take a sharp turn because the sisters are hiding Maud and have plans to make her a part of a clandestine activity to fleece others. 

She then must decide whether a lie is worth the love she wants from the sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment