Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Weekend Novelist Rewrites the Novel: A Step-by-Step Guide to Perfecting Your Work by Robert J. Ray

I'm rather picky when it comes to books on writing. I've read magazines, books, and articles and a great many rely on the same cliched advice. And I think, "Yeah, I've seen this before." The Weekend Novelist Rewrites the Novel takes a refreshing step toward practical advice in editing work and provides unique tools in revising a novel. (The author looks at content editing rather than copy editing. His book covers the larger scope.)

The book goes into detail on how to plan subplots, how to organize scenes, building tension, and fixing scenes.  He suggests spreadsheeting to help clarify holes and places to expand.  I've used techniques from this book on multiple occasions even when I was stuck in the writing phase.  There are side bars with tips, checklists, and several examples of the grids he uses.

As books on writing go, this is one of the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment