Friday, February 22, 2013

Roses of the West by Anne Seagraves

I've been studying the Civil War and old west history for a novel I'm in the middle of writing.  I discovered this book and picked it up on a whim. I'm not a typically enthusiastic autobiographical reader, but I must say Roses of the West is a fascinating read.

Anne Seagraves tells the stories of a number of women who became famous in their own right during the 1800's. From an opera singer to ranchers and runaway slaves, the stories are gripping.  As autobiographies go, this is an excellent one. Anne has a storyteller's gift and while the events are non-fiction, Anne makes you care about the people whose lives were affected by the times they lived in.

Sometimes in my own comfortable existence, I forget how hard life once was for the early settlers. Many versions are somewhat sanitized or written in a generalized manner. Roses of the West had details that made me feel that I understood the problems these women faced and how they survived.



No comments:

Post a Comment