Thursday, February 7, 2013

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis is famed for the Chronicles of Narnia, which is one of my favorite series, although I'm afraid I might have outgrown them.   Till We Have Faces is a more mature book and a powerful story.

The story is a retelling of the Cupid and Psyche myth from the perspective of the half-sister who was blamed in the myth as a jealous woman who disliked Psyche and set her up. In this first-person tale, Orual justifies her actions to the gods and explains her side. The result is a fascinating and unique story.

What I enjoy the most about Till We Have Faces is that Orual's character is so very likeable even with her flaws. She is told she is ugly as a child, but she is able to put up a good argument that she truly loves her sister who is beautiful. The beginning of the book is spent on Orual and Psyche's childhood and their teacher, the Fox, and how Psyche came to be sacrificed to Cupid. I don't like to give away endings, so I'll leave it there.

An elegant story with a strong emotional thread, this is a wonderful book.


No comments:

Post a Comment